Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two Weeks Ago today..........

Our son, Eirik Snow Alford, was born at 6:34pm on Thursday, April 15, 2010 (tax day).  Eirik (pronounced I-Rick) weighed 9lbs 2 oz, measured 21 inches long, and had a 14 3/4 inch head circumference.  I asked my doctor what that size of head meant, because I heard all the nurses "ewwing and ahhing" about it when they announced his size in the delivery room, and my doctor said, "It means that you're a rock star!"  So, yes, I was able to push out a big, healthy and absolutely beautiful baby boy and I am so incredibly blessed!  I cry almost every day watching my beautiful boy and all his sweet faces and noises that he makes.  I already can't imagine my life for one second without him in it and my heart truly breaks for those that have had to live through the loss of a sweet child.  I truly can not imagine experiencing anything more painful. I have been putting off writing in our blog because in my mind there are no words to describe how amazing this time spent with our precious babe has been.  But I can't keep putting it off, so I will just have to accept the fact that I'm not perfect and my writing is definitely not perfect and record all the memories we are making as a family to the best of my ability.
I'm sure many are curious where we got his name, so here is your answer.  I'm part Swedish and Shane's part Norwegian.  My parents raised us celebrating our Swedish heritage with all sorts of Swedish traditions and customs, so we thought a Scandinavian name would be neat.  We had never heard the name before, but while on vacation a year ago we ran into my dear friend from college, Mindy Gerber, and her husband, Eirik (who is Norwegian), on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas.  I loved his name and when we found out we were pregnant his name came back to mind, and I knew I wanted to name him Eirik on the day we found out we were having a son.  Snow actually came to us (or me, but Shane was totally cool with it) during our pregnancy.  We had a lot of snow this year, something not so typical in our state of Kansas, but really, it just happened to be snowing at some very significant times during our pregnancy.  Like the day of our first sonogram and when we found out we would be having a son, during Christmas holiday (Mommy and Daddy's favorite holiday), the day we found out our offer was accepted on our new home, etc.  I honestly thought it was going to snow on the day of delivery, because it literally was always snowing at such important moments.  haha.  But it didn't.....it was a beautiful day full of sunshine when I went into labor. 
Eirik, here's your Birth Day story..........
On Wednesday, April 14, 2010, my water broke probably around midday sometime.  I don't remember the exact time because I wasn't quite sure if it was really my water breaking or I just wet my pants.  But when your Daddy took me out to eat at Panera for dinner and I started to develop menstrual like cramps I soon knew that we were in for a long night ahead and that it was my water breaking earlier.  I was so excited because I knew that I would soon be meeting you and I could not wait!  You were 10 days late by the way!  After dinner, Daddy took me on a walk around our neighborhood and through the park.  As your Daddy and I walked hand in hand, I knew that night would be our last night together just the two of us.  I think your Daddy was still in denial about us being in actual labor, but that's understandable.... he wasn't feeling any of the sensations and I was still acting completely normal because it only felt like mild menstrual cramps.  We decided to come home and try to get some sleep, so we laid down around 9:00pm.  That's when it really started.  I couldn't sleep at all!  My contractions were about 6 minutes apart from the start and lasting about a minute.... sometimes longer.  I tried to sleep and get comfortable, but soon realized that wasn't going to happen.  I got in the bathtub and that helped me to relax, but my contractions were still pretty intense.  Your Daddy massaged me to try and relax me and I prayed ALOT for God to give me strength and to also take away the pain.  haha!  Before we knew it the time was 4 am and we were heading to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.  We wanted to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital, and I honestly felt I couldn't wait any longer.  My contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting 1 1/2 minutes at least and they were intense!  I had 4 contractions from the parking lot of the hospital to the Mother/Baby unit at the hospital.  I'm sure we were quite the site to see........ Daddy was carrying all our bags (we packed a lot) and Mommy had to stop every two minutes and sit on her birthing ball during contractions (once in the parking lot, once in the lobby of the hospital, once in the elevator, and the last time in front of the nurses while we were checking in on the third floor).  I don't remember the time that things happened exactly, because labor was so intense and was taking my full attention.  I tried getting comfortable in different positions, on the birthing ball, and walking around, but decided that the bathtub was the place I wanted to be.  I probably stayed in the tub for 5 hours.... I don't even know how long, but it was what helped me the most.  The water felt sooooo good!  After about 15-16 hours of laboring, I decided to get the epidural.  I really didn't want to get one because of the risks associated with them, being more confined to the hospital bed, and also because I was terrified of them sticking a big needle in my spine.  But, I was at a point where I was so physically and mentally exhausted, and I knew that I really needed some relief.  After getting the epidural, I felt so much better and was thanking the Lord for such sweet relief!  Your Aunt Ingrid, MorMor and Gramps came to the delivery room to check in that afternoon and see how things were going.  MorMor ended up being in the delivery room with us while Mommy was pushing, which was so great.  It wasn't planned that way, but I dilated so fast at the end that the doctor said it was time to push and your MorMor was still there visiting.  She was getting ready to leave but I asked her to stay and take pictures and I'm so glad she did, because your Daddy was by my side the whole time and I needed his support and massages!!  We were able to get such sweet pictures of your Birth Day.  Mommy pushed you out in about 45 minutes and Dr. Pazdernik and all the nurses couldn't believe how big of a boy you were and that I only had a first degree tear (not painful at all by the way)!  Especially since your elbow came out at the same time as your head!  Sweetheart, I was so overcome with emotion even before I pushed you out! I was crying the whole time while pushing and everyone kept asking me if I was in pain, and I was telling them, "No pain!  I'm just so happy!"  I couldn't contol it!  I was already so overcome with love for you and then when you came out and they laid you on my chest, I completely fell in love!  Your MorMor captured the sweetest moment of you and me and our eyes meeting for the first time and we are both smiling.  Yes, you, my newborn baby, were smiling! 

I love you so much Eirik and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life loving you!
 Love,
Mommy

11 comments:

  1. Such a sweet birth story for him to treasure! I love his name (thank you for telling me how to pronounce it because I was so curious) and what a neat story of how you came up with it! Congrats Jenny! You will be such a great mother and it is the greatest job in the whole world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet post Jenny!! It is SO hard to find the balance, but you will!! Soak up every second! I am hoping that this time around I can be less "OCD" and more relaxed - able to just enjoy each moment and not worry about the bathrooms that need cleaned or the dishwasher that needs unloaded. I am trying REALLY hard to cherish these fleeting phases because they pass all too quickly!

    Congrats once again to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. And btw you have me in tears! He is precious. Enjoy him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no, i'm bawling!!! JENNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the most beautiful story, and written SO SO SO well!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I miss you and can't wait to see you as a momma, i can tell through photos that you are glowing like crazy :)
    last night we had Marykathryn's going away dinner, it was nice and we MISSED you dearly. we talked about coming may 11th in the evening to visit, but im sure krista will contact you about that :)
    eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!
    i need to go dry my eyes, im reading this at work, and i don't want everyone to think something is wrong, hehe.

    thanks so much for this story......love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny

    I cannot even control my tears right now! What a wonderful wonderful time for you to share. You and Shane are so blessed but so is little Eirik. He is so blessed to have the best parents. You are a wonderful mother! You are certainly an amazing woman to go through that long labor!!!! Again, congrats and thank you for sharing ! Your blog makes me smile all the time! Keep posting! Much love Katy Morris

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a beautiful story. I am so happy for you both. - Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. jenny- i've been dying to hear the story... i am so proud of you! you labored so well and i love how you were so patient in waiting on the Lord for His perfect timing and His strength during labor. it is beautiful and inpsiring to have known what a labor of love you gave for your son! you definitely are radiating the joy of a woman who knows what a special gift it is to be given a child. cannot WAIT to meet him!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet sweet post Jenny - you did a wonderful job putting it into words,although I know it doesn't truly explain the depth of love and joy you have inside. I love the name you choose and the meaning behind it. Your pictures are all beautiful - I can see the love and joy on you and Shane's face!

    What amazing gifts God gives us in the forms of these precious children. And then to know that he loves our little ones more than we can ever imagine loving them ourselves is unbelievable!

    You have such a beautiful family, I can't wait to see pictures as little Eirik grows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just BEAUTIFUL, Jenny! Congrats on your precious little man. You have so much to be thankful for, and so much to look forward to. I loved this sweet post, and it had me in tears!

    Enjoy every minute with baby Eirik. You are going to be an amazing mother! I wish you and your new little family all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I love the name, it's very unique and I love that you have a story behind it.

    He is a cutie pie and I am sure you are enjoying these precious moments. It sounds like you were quite the trooper throughout the labor process and I would agree with the doc...a true ROCKSTAR! I wish you the best with the new little man in your life!

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just LOVED this post. It had me in tears. Your little man is just so precious. I haved loved looking at all your pictures. You are going to be a wonderful mother and have SOOOO much to look forward to. Take care and can't wait to watch Eirik grow.

    ReplyDelete